Sunday, May 31, 2009

Palmyra

After church today, Andy and I really wanted to go out and do something again. WE ARE LOVING FREE TIME TOGETHER! We came home, ate some left over BBQ and drove up to Palmyra. 1st-We had NO idea how freaking close we were!!! 2nd-I had NO idea we would enjoy it so much! We had the best little missionaries take us on all the tours, they were all so excited that Andy was a new convert. The Most incredible part was standing in Joseph Smith's cabin and hearing the story of the first vision. That Missionary Discussion was and will be one of the most memorable days of our lives. So, to actually be standing there in his house, looking into the Sacred Grove and hearing the story, was so cool! I was seriously on the brink of major tears. Any way, we loved every minute of our almost 5 hours there. Here are a couple of things we saw

Joseph Smith's 1st home in Palmyra, were Angel Moroni came to him and told him about the plates

The Sacred Grove, Where God and Christ appeared to him

The Smith's Second home, where he had to hide the plates in various places

YEAHH the Temple is sooo amazing peaking through the trees, can't wait to go there!

The Cooper Shed, also where he hid the plates




























And a bunch of us in the Sacred Grove








































































































































Out side the Temple




























This is the view out to the Sacred Grove from the Temple grounds :)

















And this is the Statue on top of the Hill Cumorah, where we definitely going back in July for the Pageant! It looks like a real good time































Next time I will need a pic of the Hill, and we also hit up the printing press where the first Book of Mormon was printed. The Missionary Couple there was wonderful and stayed late to give us a tour! What great people!!! Can't wait for some visitors to come so I can take them up there and do it all over again.

6 comments:

Ang said...

What a fun Sunday activity! Sounds like a great experience.

Chris and Annalisa said...

I'm so jealous that you guys are so close! What a neat place that is.

RaCHeL said...

Oh I'm so glad that you guys went to Palmyra! Isn't it beautiful?! We are going to take Jami & Clark there this weekend.

Stephanie Evans said...

What a fun day trip! Those tours always get me emotional too. Happy Birthday Andy! We had so much fun with you guys on Saturday.

Melanie said...

I am so sorry we couldn't make it to the party! I bet you had a blast! Happy Birthday Andy! And I am so glad you made it to Palmyra. I love it there! You should go to Waterloo next time... Its the home where the church was organized!

dave&abby johnson family said...

How fun! I loved visiting there a few years ago. Its a beautiful place!